Want to pin a tweet or get pinned tweet ideas?
You’re at the right place!
Twitter, the platform that first comes to mind when bloggers and businesses think about marketing online, has a lot of features that help us to attract our audiences.
One of those features is Twitter’s pin a post to the top of your profile.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- How to pin a tweet?
- How to pin someone else’s tweet?
- How to pin a retweet?
- How to pin a tweet on Twitter App?
- How to unpin a pinned tweet in 2021
- How to pin a retweeted tweet
- And, 19 best pinned tweet ideas
I know you have been using it since it rolled out but are you using it effectively? What type of tweets should you pin to twitter?
Here’s how to use the “pin a tweet” feature effectively for marketing on twitter.
How to use the pin a tweet feature effectively?
There are countless ways to marketing and branding on social media. Almost every feature of social media platforms can be used to market our online businesses.
Here is how online marketers and small businesses can utilize the pin a tweet feature as a Twitter branding strategy to increase Twitter engagements, get more Twitter followers, more likes and retweets.
It will brief you on what to pin on twitter in 2021 and what not to pin to your twitter profile.
1) How to pin a tweet on Twitter in 2021?
Here’s how to pin a tweet on Twitter:
- Open up your Twitter account.
- Scroll down to the tweet you want to pin.
- Click on the inverted triangle on the top corner of the right hand side.
- Choose the option “pin to your profile page“.
- You just pinned a tweet to the top of your profile page on twitter.
Here is a video tutorial to show you the step by step process of pinning a tweet.
2) How to pin someone else’s tweet?
Here’s how to pin someone else’s tweet on your profile:
- to pin someone’s tweet, go to their profile
- Scroll down to the tweet you want to pin.
- Click on the inverted triangle on the upper-hand corner to the right side of the tweet.
- Click on embed tweet.
- On the next popup, uncheck the “include media” option.
- Scroll down to get the raw text of the tweet. Copy it all including the pic.twitter.com URL(if the tweet has an image).
- Go to your profile and tweet the copied content.
- Follow the process to pin this new tweet.
- Make sure you give due credits and cross check if the person allows retweets.
Now that you know how to pin someone else’s tweet, let’s learn how to pin a retweet:
3) How do you pin a retweet?
Here’s how to pin a retweet to your profile page on Twitter:
- Go to the retweet you want to pin.
- Click on the ellipsis symbol on the upper corner (right-hand side).
- Select “embed”
- On the new overlay, copy the text version of the retweet (include the pic.twitter.com… URL to keep the image tweeted).
- Tweet the copied content and then follow the above process to pin it.
- This is different from pinning a normal tweet because Twitter doesn’t have “pin a retweet” feature as of now.
- Don’t forget to give due credits of the tweet.
- You have successfully pinned a retweet now.
4) How do I pin a tweet on mobile Twitter app? (For Android & iPhone)
Here’s how to pin a retweet on Twitter app:
- Update your Twitter app to make sure the “pin a tweet” feature is available on your version.
- Go to the tweet that you want to pin.
- Click on the ellipsis sign and select the option ‘pin to my profile page’.
- You have now successfully pinned a tweet via the Twitter mobile app.
5) How to unpin a pinned tweet in 2021? Delete a pinned tweet:
To unpin pinned tweet, follow the steps below:
- Go to your profile page on Twitter.
- Click on the ellipsis on the upper hand right-side corner.
- Out of the options, select unpin from profile page.
- Completed. You now deleted and unpinned that pinned tweet.
6) How to pin a retweeted tweet?
Here is how to pin a retweeted tweet:
- Since you cannot directly pin a retweet, here is a workaround
- Go to the retweet and click on the link that leads you to the original tweet
- Now, retweet it again but this time retweet with a comment
- Now you can pin this retweet as a original tweet by clicking on the three dots and selecting “pin to your profile page” option.
Why should you pin a tweet to your profile?
Pinning a tweet on your timeline gets you immense visibility.
Here are some of the unique advantages a pinned tweet has over the normal tweets. Pinned tweet templates (given below) will help you in the following ways.
- It is visible to every new visitor of your profile.
- It has more visibility as well as it gets the first attention of everyone visiting your timeline.
- You can use it the Pinned tweet to alert or promote a special offer or blog post or even showcase a product of yours.
- Use pinned tweet aesthetic to show your personality
- Make money using pinned tweet
RECOMMENDED READING: How to build a brand on Twitter, right from scratch
19 best pinned tweet ideas in 2021
Here are 19 of the best pinned tweet ideas and templates for you to use:
1) Showcase a recent blog post of yours
You can pin your latest blog post to your timeline to attract any new follower of yours (through your profile) and get an instant boost of traffic to your post.
Alternatively, you could use a plugin to add Twitter share and follow buttons and click to tweet boxes to your blog posts. More on our SocialSnap review.
2) Pin your most popular post
Which is your most popular post? It is popular because most people like it and it has information that is helping them.
Why not maximize your reach and give your twitter followers a glimpse of your well-performing blog post. You could also think of pinning an ultimate guide of yours to twitter.
3) Pin an affiliate product
If you are promoting a product that is hugely popular amongst your followers why not send it to a place that already gets so many views. This way you could earn a few bucks through your twitter profile.
PRO TIP: Also include a link to a product or affiliate review (like this Kinsta Hosting review or review of WPX Hosting) on your blog. This will increase credibility and the visitor might want to read the review before buying.
This way you have 2X chances to convert your follower into a lead.
4) Pin your own product
Have a product that you sell online? It can be anything, an eBook, a course or anything you sell based on your niche and interest of followers.
You can use the twitter analytics to check the interest and other stats of your followers for pinning the appropriate product.
5) Pin your most retweeted or fav’d tweet
People tend to follow people that have an influence on twitter. So you have a tweet that magically surpassed your other tweets in terms of engagements? Why not stick it to the top to woo the readers and show your authority.
6) Pinned tweet ideas to make money
If you run a business or are a social media influencer, here are some pinned tweet ideas to make money:
- Pin a link to your Amazon influencer storefront or patreon link
- Blogger? Pin a tweet with a link to the best blogging deals using your affiliate links
- Business? Entice your customers with coupons and offers.
7) Pin a testimonial
What better a place than twitter could be to showcase your proud testimonials. Include them in a video or as a standby image. Trust me they will change the way your followers think of you.
8) Pin a service you offer
If you are a freelance writer or a web designer or anyone who has a service to offer to your clients then you can pin those tweets.
A sticky tweet can work as a billboard space or as a hoarding to advertise your business. Your portfolio page or a client testimonial can be one of the few good things to tweet for your business.
9) Pin your contact details and customer care info
If you are a brand, already well-established you should still use the sticky tweet feature of twitter to get even more customer faith by showing how much you care for them.
Your customer response can also be a good pinned tweet idea.
10) Hiring? Let it go to the top of your twitter stream
If you need a team or any sort of service or you are hiring more staff, the best place to announce this is Twitter.
This will get you in front of thousands of your followers.
PRO TIP: Research shows people retweet promptly when asked to do. You can ask your followers to retweet the tweet to increase its reach even more.
11) Pin a case study that shows how you influence your customers positively
If you’re wondering about what to post on Twitter? I have a solution
If you have a case study of how a customer of yours got affected positively by your business make it hold it as your top tweet.
You could also use this to post a tweet that has a picture of how a blog post of yours inspired your readers (or an image of the mail you received from them) and then hang it on the top of to your profile.
12) Pin a positive quote to the top
Nothing is better than a positive quote. Brands and blogs like Foundr have emerged as a hot favorite of tweeples by using custom images of quotes in huge quantity.
13) Use Twitter cards to collect emails from your followers
Buffer did an awesome job collecting nearly 182 email subscribers in a week’s time using twitter cards. Ace blogger Amit Agrawal also uses this technique for lead generation.
Using the email collection twitter cards your followers can sign up to your email list right from the tweet itself without having to leave the social platform. It’s easy and handy and a must use tip for anyone with a list.
Here is a guide to get started with twitter lead generation card optimizations.
14) Pin a tweet in which an influencer interacts with you
When I published my post on “Facebook marketing and conversion tricks for bloggers and businesses” I got it tweeted by Mari Smith not once but twice. She also generously shared it on Facebook. :)
Her both tweets featuring me got over 60 retweets which is quite a rare feat. I can also use this to hike my image as a social media enthusiast and show my writing quality.
This boosts your credibility.
15) Pin a tweet to send twitter followers to a landing page
Why not showcase a pin at the top of your profile that has the power to send a follower to a landing page? Use the pinned tweet to funnel your leads to a page where you can sell them something or turn them into a subscriber.
16) Make your upcoming event a sticky tweet
Want to know how power users use the “pin a tweet” feature? They announce their next event on twitter and pin it to grab more eyeballs to the event.
Have a live webinar, an offline meeting, a twitter chat? Highlight the time and date of your event on the top of your twitter profile. Jeff Bullas has done this very intelligently.
17) Ask a question that compels your readers to think
Questions and puzzles are a great way to boost engagement rates. You can use pinned tweets to boost engagement rates amongst your audience.
18) Conduct a poll or survey
Have a poll or survey that needs more participants? Twitter users are way to supportive and can give you their opinions on the topic.
What you have to do is to pin a tweet to top of your twitter profile that features the survey form or link to it.
19) Show your personal and transparent self
Transparency helps build trust. It also shows there’s a real human behind the profile.
You can pin a video tweet or a graphics showing the behind the scenes of how you work or your office interiors or a clipping of your team mates interacting with each other at a fun moment.
Bonus: Make your socialproof loud and sticky
Have a large number of followers or subscribers?
You can upload a custom picture that denotes the number of people trust your blog or business.
This will showcase your authority and brand power. It will also have an effect in converting a visitor into a follower and a follower into a lead.
Wrap up: How to pin a tweet + pinned tweet ideas
I hope you liked our step by step guide to pin a tweet, pin retweets and unpin pins to boost your Twitter visibility.
Pinned tweets are greatly helpful to grab attention on twitter and if used wisely could help you a LOT more than just decent engagements on the platform.
There are endless ways to use the pinned tweet effectively on your timeline, having said this I would say your decision to pin a tweet should be aligned with you and your niche. You have to use this feature as it best suits you.
I would say experimenting is the key to your success. Experiment, conduct A/B split tests and change the format and style of your pinned tweets.
You could also use hashtags to increase the lifespan and reach of your tweet. An animated GIF can also be used to say something that a plain image can’t say.
Lastly, I would say anyone can use this feature and it is not limited to bloggers and online marketers.
P.S. If you liked this post, you’ll love this guide to getting more followers on Twitter.
How do you use the Pin A Tweet Feature in Your Twitter Marketing Strategy?
- How to get a lot of Facebook likes
- Sendible vs Hootsuite: Which is worth the money?
- Instagram Statistics for pro users
FAQs about pinned tweet ideas
Can you pin someone else’s tweet?
Yes, you can pin someone else’s tweet as well as a retweet done by them. Here is the guide on how to do it.
Can pinning a tweet delete it?
No. Pinning a tweet doesn’t delete it. However, if you delete a tweet then it will also be removed from the pinned spot.
Can I pin a tweet in 2021?
Yes, you can pin a tweet in 2021. It’s a core feature of Twitter. Click the dropdown of your tweet (the one which you want to pin) and then select the “pin to your profile option”
Can you pin a tweet on mobile?
Yes, you can very much pin a tweet from mobile as well as tablet devices. To pin a tweet on mobile, go to your profile, select the tweet and then choose the “pin to your profile” option from the dropdown menu.
Why can’t I pin tweets?
If you are having trouble pinning tweets, check if you are pinning your or other’s tweet. You cannot pin others’ tweets unless you retweet them with a comment.
How do you embed a tweet?
You can embed a tweet by just clicking on the three dots present on any tweet or your desired tweet. Then select the option “embed tweet” and copy the resultant code. Finally, paste this code to your CMS like WordPress to embed it.
How to view someone’s pinned tweet?
To view someone’s pinned tweet, you need to visit their profile. The first tweet on their timeline would be the pinned tweet with a label “pinned tweet”. If you find no labels, that person hasn’t pinned any tweet then.