Looking for the exact list of on page SEO techniques in 2019 that can double your search traffic?
On page SEO is an integral part of the whole website SEO or search engine optimization process. You need to follow certain SEO techniques to help optimize your blog/website so that search engines can decipher it better and probably rank it higher up in the SERPs.
You need to optimize your blog further with proper On-Page SEO techniques and Off-Page SEO optimizations.
That’s when this post on top 10 on page SEO techniques for 2019 will come handy.
Feel free to download the on page SEO checklist below.
Google is one of the best search engines in 2019 with a market share of over 78%. You can get a lot of exposure, traffic and ultimately leads & sales by ranking on the top of the first page in Google’s SERPs.
To increase your Google rankings you have to have the right ratio of natural backlinks, perfect content with optimized for your target topic, a great website that is Google friendly and nice social signals that show your authority and so on. The whole search engine optimization process can be broadly divided into on page SEO & off page SEO.
However, in this post we will not be doing a on page SEO vs off page SEO case study.
In fact, we’ll talk about how to optimize your article for the higher rankings with the best and latest on page SEO techniques 2019 and that too without voiding any of Google’s quality guidelines.
I have a handy ON Page SEO checklist so you can get it printed and gauge your articles for proper white hat blog SEO optimization.
What is On-Page SEO? The Definition
On-page SEO is the process of making your blog post (individual web pages) optimized for search engines so they rank higher and get more clicks (traffic) from the SERPs.
These On-Page SEO techniques include optimizing the text content (meta tags, permalinks, web copy, images etc) and optimizing the HTML (includes removing unwanted codes, mobile friendly site, no iframes, loading time etc.) of the web page.
That was just the gist of the whole game, let’s discuss the whole process about how to do proper on page SEO and make your blog totally Google compliant.
Benefits Of On Page SEO Optimization in 2019
Before jumping into the latest on page SEO techniques, wouldn’t you want to know advantages of on page SEO optimization?
The simple answer to this is, through optimizing your site for search engines like Google you can funnel a heck load of traffic from them to your business website.
This stands true for every online business and they invest in SEO efforts no matter they are bloggers, small business website owners, freelancers or big giants like Amazon and Techcrunch.
Every form of online business takes the effort to optimize their website for search engines.
Here are the main benefits of on page SEO optimization and why you should consider it:
- Most on page SEO strategies focus around one topic, that is user experience. Better user experience = more conversions.
- Following the latest On Page, you can easily get higher rankings on SERPs, which means your website will be visible to as many people in your niche as you want.
- Better ranking = more traffic = more leads, sales, ad-clicks and overall revenue.
- SEO leads have a far higher close rate (14.6%) than other methods of outbound lead generation like direct mail or print media (1.7%).
- Per dollar spent, small business SEO generates approx 3 times as many leads as traditional marketing.
- 75% of the users never scroll past the first page of the search result. And hence, you need to make every effort to optimize your site to rank on the first page. And for that, you need a great on page SEO techniques strategy.
Top 10 On-Page SEO Techniques 2019 That’ll Double Your Search Traffic
Here are the latest top 10 SEO techniques (2019) to boost your ranking & double your search traffic. Click on section below to be taken right to it.
- Write original and detailed content
- Have a solid keyword placement strategy
- Optimize your images with Alt tags, title tags and captions
- Focus on boosting your website’s dwell time
- Use a clean and SEO-optimized permalink structure
- Inter-link your related articles to pass link juice and reduce bounce rates
- Add outbound citation links from your articles
- Make your site mobile responsive, credible and conversion optimized
- Improve your website loading time
- Optimize your site’s meta tags and title tags
- Perfect the meta description of each blog post.
Now that you know what On-Page SEO is and the advantages of following on page SEO techniques, let’s quickly jump to optimize the various on page SEO factors that’ll ultimately double your search traffic.
To make your on page SEO task list easier, I have categorized the whole white hat SEO Strategy game into 3 steps for better understanding. They are:
- Optimizing the content,
- Optimizing the HTML section &
- Optimizing the meta data,
Want To Know The On Page SEO Techniques 2019 And Implementation Examples?
Here are the latest On Page SEO techniques you should know and follow
OPTIMIZING THE CONTENT FOR ON PAGE SEO
1) Write Original And Detailed Content
Your content on the blog is by far the most important SEO techniques that you have to look after.
Writing original content might take effort and time but that is what gets love from the search engines. Copied content on your site might harm your reputation as your readers will be quick to identify your tone and content.
This can be even worse if your content gets detected by the owner who can sue your for copyrights infringement. At the least, you can get your site removed if he files a DMCA.
Therefore, it is highly recommended that you write original and fresh content. If you’re outsourcing content from writers, make sure they are not spun content (copied content with jumbled wordings) with the help of best plagiarism checker tools or use these tips on how to avoid plagiarism..
How to optimize blog content for on page SEO?
- Words per page: Gone are the days when you could rank your keywords with 500-700 words per article. With increasing competition, you literally have to write the best articles that cover everything about the topic you are writing.
Articles that are 2000 words or longer get more shares, more links and better rankings.
- Include a lot of LSI keywords: LSI keywords or latent semantic index keywords are the side-keywords that are related to your main keyword logically. These LSI keywords help Google and other search engines perceive what your page is all about.
For example, if you are writing about “Squash” it might be confusing (both for users and search engines) that you are speaking about squash the vegetable or squash, the indoor sport.
However, if you content contains terms like drive, drop, game or racket which is normal to be included if you’re writing for the sport then Google’s bot can get a clear idea that your page is about indoor sport and not the vegetable. This will help your site get ranked for sport related queries instead of food related queries. So a win-win.
- Grammatically correct: Correct grammar and punctuation is very important for good impressions and authority. You can use the free Grammarly chrome extension (read my Grammarly review) to write grammatically correct articles.
Additional Resources You Should Read:
- Blogging Guide: How to make money blogging for beginners (Includes 30 tips that will help you create a better blog).
- The Most Inspiring Article I’ve Ever Read! (Read for yourself & see.)
- How Michael Hyatt Grew His Blog From 0-300K Visitors Per Month (Video)
[clickToTweet tweet=” My #bloggingtips: Original Content is the key to High Rankings. Read➜ https://goo.gl/yWz4mb by @DigitalGYD pic.twitter.com/KB8MqTRAgu” quote=”Original Content is still the key to rankings.”]
3) Optimize Your Images With Alt Tags, Title Tags & Captions
Images are the most underused on page SEO factor but if optimized properly they can bring you loads of traffic and improve your site’s SEO health.
I have been getting a lot of traffic to my site from image search too, and that’s because, in most of the blog posts, I have optimized the images.
Below are some on page SEO techniques to optimize images for SEO and rankings.
How to optimize blog images for on page?
- Rename the image file to something that is human readable and about the topic. For example, change file names like 123.jpg to seo-strategy.jpg. It helps the image show up in the image search when someone searches for SEO strategy.
- Give an Alt text to describe the image. Alt text is the text that appears in place of image when someone with a slow connection fails to load the image. This also makes it easy for search engines to know what the image is about.
- Use a caption whenever possible because captions are read 300% more than the body text. So why miss this chance?
In WordPress, it is quite simple to add alt text and captions since the option is given when you upload an image.
In the technical part, keep the image lighter so that it doesn’t impact the page loading time. If your screenshots are heavier, you can try to reduce their size using online tools like Kraken or Optimizilla (both are free but charge for more usage).
If you use a premium theme like Thrive Themes (Swadhin uses it here on DigitalGYD Blog), they come up with inbuilt image optimizer so that it reduces the size of any image you upload without any change in quality.
This way you save time by bypassing the compression stage for each of your images and also saves you the extra subscription for the compression services.
Additional Resources You Should Read:
- Image Optimization 101 – Optimize Blog Post Images For SEO (BloggerTipsTricks.com)
- How To Support Your Copy With Images (CopyHackers Blog)
[clickToTweet tweet=” My #bloggingtips: Use #VisualContent For Better Ranking. Read➜ https://goo.gl/yWz4mb by @DigitalGYD pic.twitter.com/KB8MqTRAgu” quote=”My #bloggingtips: Use #VisualContent For Better Ranking.”]
The next on page SEO technique pretty much summarizes the whole SEO game.
Ready for it?
5) Have The Most SEO Optimized Permalink Structure
Permalinks are very crucial for a site’s SEO.
However, the value that it had in the past diminished a bit because Google prefers more of the content part, but still, it is good for SEO if you have really nice, clean, human and search friendly URLs.
Ideally, in the anatomy of a URL, a permalink is the part of the URL that comes after the main domain as shown in the screenshot below:
If you are just starting your WordPress blog, make sure you choose the best permalink structure which is short and simple. That is one-time task.
Having a simple URL structure for your blog will help to make your blog optimized for search engines and improve traffic.
Now, whenever you draft a blog post, you can edit the permalink to something that describes that particular blog post.
WordPress, by default includes the whole article headline in your URL, you don’t have to do it.
How to optimize permalinks for perfect on page SEO?
- In fact, make your URLs short and to the point.
- Google gives preference to the first few words in the URL, so always try to include your main keyword in the beginning of the URL.
For example, in the above screenshot you can see, I kept “screen-recording-software” as that post’s permalink because the post is all about the list of screen recording software.
It also helps the users identify the content they are going to read once they see the URL in the search pages.
[clickToTweet tweet=” My #bloggingtips: How To get SEO-friendly URL? Read➜ https://goo.gl/yWz4mb by @DigitalGYD pic.twitter.com/KB8MqTRAgu” quote=”How To Optimize URL For SEO”]
7) Add Outbound Citation Links (Yes! It is an important on page SEO technique)
A SEO study by Reboot shows that outbound links do have a positive impact on SEO. Google considers your site as a good source of information since you offer good content with good resources linked as well.
Here is what White Hat SEO expert Brian Dean suggests about outbound links and on page SEO:
In short, when you add outbound links, you are actually sending readers to go to the other online sources for getting more information on particular topics.
And, this is what Google loves.
You might lose some traffic in this on page SEO technique, but hey! giving your users a better experience and sending them to additional resources on the topic (because you can never cover all) is a good way to optimize your site for users as well as Google.
And, if Google loves your site, your ranking will be higher for sure.
[clickToTweet tweet=” My #bloggingtips: Outbound Links Can Boost Your Rankings. Read➜ https://goo.gl/yWz4mb by @DigitalGYD pic.twitter.com/KB8MqTRAgu” quote=”Outbound Links Can Boost Your Rankings.”]
Success! You just Completed first level On-Page Optimization.
In the next and the second section of our top 10 on page SEO techniques, we’ll cover topics to purge your site’s code and make it for SEO friendly.
These are not anything like rocket science, but basic SEO techniques for HTML section of your site.
Don’t worry, you can do it!
OPTIMIZING THE BLOG (HTML) FOR ON PAGE SEO
9) Improve Your Site’s Speed For SEO
Site loading time is directly related to rankings. Site speed is a core on page SEO factor in Google’s ranking algorithm. Not only this, fast loading site is also essential for user experience.
Do not at any cost miss this important on page SEO technique. A loading delay of mere milliseconds can cost you sales and visitors.
According to a Kissmetrics research, 47% of users expect a site to load within 2 seconds and if it takes 3 seconds or more to load they will abandon the site forever.
This means you have to be very aware of how you decrease your page loading time and optimize this SEO technique.
How to optimize your site’s speed for on page SEO 2019?
- Use caching plugins like Super Cache, WP-Rocket, W3 Total Cache.
- Use light images.
- Use a lightweight WordPress theme. Most fancy themes try to attract customers by adding features you eventually never use. These elements, however add to the site’s loading time. I suggest use something very light and optimized for speed.
The best you can get is Genesis (studiopress) theme for your blog. Most authority sites like QuickSprout, Problogger, Copyblogger, Shoutmeloud use it for the same reason.
- Remove unnecessary widgets from the sidebar. Most visitors are ad-blind so try subtle ways to include affiliate products within your article, not in the sidebar.
For more important sales posts, like my cheap VPS Buyer guide, I completely remove the sidebar. Most themes have that option. Try it to give your readers a better user experience and make your site more converting.
- Use a CDN.
- Use a fast web hosting server like Inmotion (for smaller sites) or a managed WordPress hosting like Flywheel (Check out my in depth Flywheel Hosting Review 2019 edition) for sites with huge traffic.
You can test your site’s loading time using Google’s page speed tool which also gives valuable insights about what’s wrong and how you can correct it.
[clickToTweet tweet=” My #bloggingtips: Fast-Loading Site is The Key To Success. Read➜ https://goo.gl/yWz4mb by @DigitalGYD pic.twitter.com/KB8MqTRAgu” quote=”Fast Loading Site is The Key To Success!”]
Still, sticking around?
Good job! One last step to a perfect SEO optimized site left!
In this, we’ll discuss how to optimize your meta descriptions with recommended on page SEO techniques and create a winning site.
Here we go!
OPTIMIZING THE META DATA FOR ON PAGE SEO
11) Optimize The Meta Description Of Your Individual Blog Articles
Are meta keywords still relevant?
Yes! meta keywords are still relevant. Search engines like Bing still use it to know more about your content. However, Google clarified long ago that they don’t consider Meta Description as the ranking factor.
However, they do use Meta description to generate the search preview. Hence optimizing it can help you get the better CTR. Like all other on page SEO strategies listed above, you should also optimize site description for SEO.
If you write the Meta Description in a better way, you can get more clicks by convincing your readers to click in. Therefore, not for the sake of SEO but for better user-experience, you must write a better description of your content.
To add your meta data, you need to fill it in Yoast as in the previous case. (Check the screenshot in the previous step.)
[clickToTweet tweet=” My #bloggingtips: How To Optimize Blog Meta Desc. Read➜ https://goo.gl/yWz4mb by @DigitalGYD pic.twitter.com/KB8MqTRAgu” quote=”How To Optimize Blog Meta Desc.!”]
Wrapping Up: Top 10 On Page SEO Techniques 2019 That’ll Double Your Search Traffic
On page SEO isn’t something that is only for search engines, the hidden trick is to make your website ridiculously pleasing for your users too. In this guide to optimizing your blog and web pages for proper SEO, I have included the most important metrics which you should be optimizing to get better rankings and more organic traffic.
Since we are talking about user experience being an important parameter of any SEO strategy, let’s not forget that decreasing the bounce rate, making it easy for maximum social shares and getting more comments are also very important. They are beyond the scope of this article, though.
Kudos to your dedication for SEO! You’ve completed the whole SEO guide!
Now employ these on page optimization tricks to boost your site SEO and increase your rankings.
Optimize one bit at a time and you’ll soon see a SEO boost that’ll double your organic traffic.
Let’s do it!
Additional SEO Resources You Should Read:
- How To Increase Your Domain Authority (DA easily).
- Relationship Marketing Strategies for Bloggers & Marketers.
- How To Build Backlinks?
- 10 blogging mistakes that might be killing your blog.
Since Everyone is asking about link building guide and the trick to get dofollow backlinks (let me tell you that building backlinks isn’t a on-page SEO technique, it is an off page SEO technique), you should not miss the post below which contains 10 actionable ways to get do follow backlinks easily.
Summing up: The On Page SEO Optimization Guide To Increase Ranking (2019)
What SEO strategies you follow to give your site the perfect on page optimization? Though this guide answers everything about what is on page search engine optimization, is there anything I left?
Do you follow any specific techniques for SEO that I have not covered? Please comment below your favorite on page SEO techniques that have given you instant rankings?
About The Author:
This Blog post is authored by Atish Ranjan (blogger by choice) who blogs at www.techtricksworld.com since 2010. He loves to spare time from his busy schedule to help the needy ones. You can follow him on Twitter here and Facebook here.